In the 90th we owned the Swedish wine import company Via Domitia, which was specialized on Languedoc wine. Now, as retired and living in Languedoc, we are still interested in wine and have the opportunity to have our former producers nearby and also to explore many new vine-yards. We like to share that experience with you in this guide.

Friday, August 2, 2013

CHATEAU ETANG DES COLOMBES

CHATEAU ETANG DES COLOMBES – 11200 Lezignan-Corbières

The first time I came in contact with this wine-yard was because of their very fancy rosé-bottles. They are of that kind many people save and have for decoration. Some restaurants use the empty bottles to serve ordinary water as they are so decorative.

I have also several times been drinking their top red cuvé – Bois de Dames and appreciated it very much. The other day our neighbors served us the last bottle from the year 2000 and I opened it with few expectations – it is a 13 years old wine for 10 euros. It was excellent with, typically enough for an old Corbières, tastes of chocolate and tobacco and also quite a lot of soft tannins left.

At a restaurant yesterday I ordered their traditional white wine made from Grenache blanc, Bourboulenc and Maccabeu. It was fruity and dry as a good not oaked wine should be.

Today I went to the wine-yard and bought one case of each. Despite it is just 15 minutes from my home it was my first visit. If I had not tried the wines before I might however not have bought any red. The wine I was given to taste came from a bottle that had been open for four days and was not at its best. The salesperson obviously did not think I would notice the difference.  When I commented on it he was quite embarrassed.

No comments:

Post a Comment